Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Testing, testing...

    Hi there! So, I'm Tina-the stick figure-drawing, pregnant-being half of this little blog. Josh's entries will be tough acts to follow, but we'll see what we can do! So apparently, I'm about 8 months pregnant with a baby girl who was a most excellent surprise. Josh and I bonded almost immediately upon meeting, over the fact that we both wanted to have children, so if nothing else, the unexpected-ness of little Baby Miller-Hyman simply sped up what we already knew we wanted. I'm quite sure I won't ever forget the day I found out...

     I had my first suspicion about Baby the way most of us girls do-a particular absence. So, off to the store I went, to buy a test.

"It'll be negative," said Brain-Tina.

     "But," I said back to myself, "But what if-?" It was unfathomable, impossible even, but then...that pale pink second line appeared.

    So I took the other test that came in the box. Pink/pale pink...to the surprise of no one here, I'm sure!

"It could be a faulty test,"
    
     And with that, back to the store I went, thanking Whoever that it was a CVS with self checkout, least I seem so not together that I routinely bought multiple pregnancy tests throughout my day on a regular basis. (You'll find over time that I worry about perceptions in a way that some (Josh) might call ridiculous). This was to be the second of three boxes of tests I bought, all but one of which I took, resulting in a very questionable collection. (Leave me alone-I put them in a bag, geez).  They all came up the same way but in a variety of styles-a second pale pink line, a second pale blue line, the word spelled out in bold-"PREGNANT"-all adding up to me having to find a way to tell Joshua.

     Thinking it was no thing to call someone at work and tell them over the phone, I waited until we met up for dinner that night..aaaaand promptly suggested inviting my best friend. Way to stall! I forewent a frozen margharita with dinner, much to her and Josh's confusion, and kept silent re: Baby, until Josh and I got back to where he was living at the time, in Queens. I knew there was nothing for it but to out with it, so looking at him laying next to me I said:

"Sooo I took a pregnancy test today...and then I took a few more....and they all said the same thing."

     
      He looked at me and whispered under his breath-"You're pregnant?" With that, came several weeks of talking about it, waiting to tell family until after a doctor's confirmation, Mother's Day, and a family wedding, and coming to terms with my body no longer enjoying Indian food (sorry, Josh!). The reactions we got ranged from incredibly supportive-people with mean Mothers-In-Law, be jealous-to shocked, to concerned, and one by one, around to supportive and eager to give opinions, advice, and Baby name suggestions.

 
      It was not as simple as I'm making it out to be, and there were many very sober conversations between the two of us during those weeks about how we'd do it, and how committed to doing parenthood right we both were and are, but at the end of the day, we were in love with the idea...and so it was that Josh and Tina were going to have a baby.
 

       Now here we are-in Albany, myself getting more and more round, with each passing day. That's a whole other post though...whoever said pregnancy was beautiful, has never watched me try to get out of bed...
 

2 comments:

  1. I am so very excited for my new niece to arrive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonali, we can't wait for you to meet her, too!

    ReplyDelete